Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Temporal Casualty Loop

I’ve been thinking a lot about fate and destiny and my own part in creating a future for myself.  For my part, I’ve been very proactive in trying to pick up the pieces of a life that ended the day my husband died.  I’ve made new friends, met too many potential suitors to name, worked on my bucket list, begun to travel again.
And yet strangely, as a friend mentioned recently, I feel like everyday is Groundhog Day.  I’m in an endless loop of days that never change.  Seasons come and go and I’m still in the same place.  

In the movie, Bill Murray at first just goes with the flow of endless Ground Hog Days and exploits it to his advantage by seducing women, finding out secrets of people, and just generally doing nothing of consequence.  He then finds life so repetitive that he tries to commit suicide only to wake up again on Feb. 2nd.  The woman he really wants finally suggests that he direct his life by doing things that help others. He sets his goals to learn as much as possible about her and starts doing good things for the town.  Voila, the loop ends with him winning over the woman of his dreams.  Is this taking your own destiny into your hands?  Are we subject to fate if we don’t direct our own lives and go for what we want?  Was the moral of the story that when we just let life move us along that we will stagnate, doomed to repeat?

Am I just going with the flow? Maybe. I have to admit I don’t have much motivation, nor do I even know what I want anymore.  Might help to have someone to win over.  ;)

What about you?  Do you feel like fate controls your life, or are you directing your future?

No comments:

Post a Comment