Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

Lying
 
Today I’d like to focus on Carl Jung’s theory that we are repulsed by traits we see in others because we are unable to accept those same traits in ourselves.

I’m going to focus on lying today.  I have always considered myself an honest person and for the most part most of the people in my life I consider to be as well.  The truth is that we all lie, some of us more than others.  Lies come in a multitude of forms; the bald-faced lie, lying by omission, the white lie, jocose lie meant in jest, lying through your teeth usually accompanied by a knowing grin, the noble lie meant to protect others, the polite lie used when declining an invitation, the butler lie, usually by text and meant to cut someone off with a fabricated excuse, and finally the bad faith lie.

Occasionally, I have met a person who lies on a regularly basis and uses most of the above forms of lying.  Although not exactly repulsed, I am aware and my reaction is to never trust anything they say whether truth or fiction.  Which brings me to the most egregious lie of all, the bad faith lie, coined by the philosopher Sartre, which is in essence lying to oneself.   Most likely the person who lies on a constant basis suffers from this most of all.  But what about me?

I have always considered myself open and honest, but if I was to be truthful with myself, I would have to admit that not only have I used some of the above lies at various times, I am guilty of the bad faith lie. Overcoming this self-deception will require more introspection of what and why I am lying to myself. 

As I wrestle with my shadow, that until now has hidden this truth from me, I have won round one.  I have admitted that I see my own faults in others.  I will not win the match until I stop lying and make a full admission to myself as well as others.  And just like I don’t trust the person who lies, I cannot trust myself until I do.

What about you?  Have you lied sometimes?  Are you willing to admit it?

No comments:

Post a Comment