Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013


Ageism is alive and well

Most people who know me, know my real age.  I don’t go around bragging about it, and strangers who meet me would never guess.  I’m fortunate to look quite a bit younger than my actual age.   That brings me to the subject of ageism and dating.

In the two years I’ve been available, I’ve tried various methods of meeting someone compatible:  dating website, meetups, bars, auto clubs, biking.  Like most women and some men, I lie about my age.  Instinctively I knew if I put my real age, no one would ever contact me because men search by age and no one thinks that someone of my age is worth dating. Although I believe the few who have dated me have found out their ideas about older women are wrong.

The truth is that most eligible men who are good-looking with a decent career in their 50s and early 60s don’t even want to date a woman over the age of 45.  Ask any of my friends who are over this age.  So it doesn’t really matter if I lie about my age, I’m still too old.

I don’t have any problem attracting men.  I have many who would like to date me, and a plethora who flirt with me.  The problem is I am not attracted to them most of them, or they are an inappropriate age.  So what do I do?  Have a series of affairs with men in their 30s and 40s until such time as I am too old?  Be one among the many that these men sleep with?  Just get used up?

Where is the man who sees my assets?  I have just about anything a man could ask for.  I’m smart, fun to be around, good looking enough to be “arm candy,” financially and socially independent, like sex as much if not more than a 30 something and probably want it more often.  I don’t need to get married, although I'd prefer a monogamous relationship.  In fact, I’d like someone who kept his own residence and just spent long weekends with me, or could go away for a week somewhere once in a while. 

No, I don’t buy it when my friends tell me “be patient, you’ll meet the right one just when you least expect it.”  I almost believed it a couple of times, but both of these men turned out to disappoint me.  So I give up honestly.

Sadly, it’s society’s fault by putting so much emphasis on youth and men for being so short-sided. 

If you know any open-minded men who would like such an arrangement as I listed above, feel free to send them my way. ;)

1 comment: