Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013


Trust and the Future



I am continuing to watch Season 7 of Dexter.  Most compelling.  The last blog I wrote I said I didn’t see Dexter staying with Hannah, his beautiful murderess girlfriend and the first time he'd actually fallen in love.  It didn't work out.  In the end it came down to a lack of trust on Dexter’s part.



Dexter laments, “I should know better than count on a future, all you have to believe is now, this moment, because in a blink, everything can change.”



I am fascinated by the direction of the series.  Dexter is supposed to be a psychopath and as such has no conscience, nor is capable of love or real emotion, and yet they gave him these qualities in this season.  They made him “human,” but only to feel the pain that most of us feel.  It’s obviously a television series and fiction so I can’t say that in real life this would ever happen.



Yet, it certainly hit home with me.  I always envisioned a future, and like Dexter mine was erased in a blink.  As human beings, we all want to see a happy future with someone for the rest of our days.  My first experience with losing my future was the day my husband died.  Since then I’ve tried to find a new future, but have failed. Sadly, it’s very difficult and sometimes it does come down to a lack of trust. 



Although I'd rather have something to look forward to, I will live in the moment for now and hope that perhaps someday I will have a future again. I hope the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment